Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 124/122/113 Female 62 "
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Hi Joanna and welcome to the forum.

At 5'2" and 123 lbs, your BMI calculates out to be just 22.5 which, according to everything I've ever read puts you smack dab in the middle of the "HEALTHY weight range."

Just FYI, most sources say a person with a BMI below 18.5 is underweight; a person with a BMI between 18.5 and 24.9 is at a healthy weight; a person with a BMI between 25.0 and 29.9 is overweight; and BMI over 30.0 indicates obesity.

Of course BMI calculations are not perfect and there are many other factors that determine health.

I'm sure gaining 10 lbs over a 3 year period is distressful, especially if you're always been very trim. But I can't help wondering if perhaps you're not stressing overmuch about a perfectly natural and possibly healthy weight gain.

There have been studies showing that "all cause mortality" for those past age 65 is actually LOWER for those carrying a little bit of "extra" weight than for those who are thinner. I know you're nowhere close to 65 yet, but gaining a little weight after menopause MAY actually be healthier for you.

Just sayin... don't stress too much unless you continue to gain weight and gain enough to start moving out of the "healthy BMI" category.

Bevangel,
Thank you for your kind post. I may be in the middle of BMI normal weight, but due to my small frame, i feel really uncomfortable with my weight of 123lb. I addition my clothes do not fit anymore.