#15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-12, 10:34
Dr. Atkins was Right

Plan: Atkins (Breastfeeding)
Stats: 221/188.6/150 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi, Cara!

I'm just now finding this thread; very glad your hubby is behind you now!

I wanted to let you know that I'm in a similar boat: hubby is tall, lean, and underweight, and toddler is in the low, barely-normal weight percentiles for her age. I did pretty much what others have already suggested, and what you've decided to do: cooked foods we can all eat without actually converting the rest of the family.

As time passes, though, we keep finding more and more low-carb foods that everyone can enjoy. I get hubby's input as I work on developing low carb recipes. His feedback has helped me figure out the fillers for my fish cakes and Swedish meatballs, for example, and he really enjoys testing the chocolate almond tortes and peanut butter cups!

I don't cook with grains or sugar, but don't fuss when he does. (I just hop in the kitchen and make my own version when he makes those chocolate chip cookies!) I serve him breads or crackers where called for, but have converted him to my TVP rice substitute. I still buy him his root beer, and until recently was still buying Oreos--which I would let him feed to the baby, since he does so in moderation.

It's funny, though--the last few Oreos stayed in the cabinet for a month and a half: I bought them in early December, and they only got eaten this week. I did so much experimenting with sweet treats over the holidays that apparently he saw no need to grab the sugary stuff!

You can do this, Cara, and you can make it work for everybody; cook on!