Old Fri, Feb-10-12, 11:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins\Paleo\IF
Stats: 266/206/190 Male 67
BF:Going fast...
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 51
I think you are getting confused between weight loss and fat loss.
Per volume (however you want to measure it, cubic inch, cc, whatever) fat weighs less than muscle.
So let's assume that you somehow manage to, between weigh-ins, you manage to lose 1 lb of fat, and gain 1 lb of muscle.
You are right where you started, and achieved nothing, right?
No wrong. You are going to be smaller, as the 1 lb of muscle takes up less space than the lb of fat did, and you are raising you base metabolic rate (it takes more energy to maintain 1 lb of muscle than it does to maintain 1 lb of fat.
So if you were to keep this up, the exercise actually helps you lose weight. As your body becomes more toned, the weight loss increases.
If you want to read more about this, I would recommend the book Fit or fat by Covert Bailey. Good read, and it goes into the bio chemistry of how your cells use various sources of energy.

Myself, I ride 2-3 times during the week, 45-90 minutes and on weekends 30-50 miles on both Sat and Sunday. A few weeks back I rode 60 miles one Saturday to celebrate my 60th birthday. I will do a century ride this year.
One last thing, don't forget Dr. Atkins said in his book "If you aren't exercising, you aren't doing Atkins."

Completely agree with this. Psychologically, it's important to be losing weight as it keeps you on track, helps you get over difficult times when you could waver, but really a balance needs to be struck - being scared to exercise in case you don't see weight lose is a completely wrong midset and as you rightly point out, there ain't many advocates of high fat low carb no exercise - activity is a massive part of well-being and mental health - those are the things that make you strong enough so you can remain strong when the time needs.

Intrestingly Rik, your numbers are very similar to mine, as is your exercise regime - I am maybe not quite as regimented right now as I am still adjusting to not being able to carb load on longer trips. I salute you for getting out on the bike at 59 - thats just absolutely awesome.