View Single Post
  #16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-20, 06:55

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I've read so often over the years that people over 50, especially women over 50, need more protein than they do earlier in life because they begin to not metabolize it as well. Further, I've read that women over 50 actually need MORE protein than men over 50. Naiman and Eades have been recommended higher protein amounts for women, especially.

When I was in my late 50s, I had a NutrEval test done on stool samples that showed I was almost at the level of malnutrition because my body wasn't able to use most of the nutrients that I was eating. Protein, especially, was not being metabolized. They told me to take in a lot more protein, take probiotics, and take digestive enzymes with every meal. It helped, but for some stupid reason I stopped doing that and have trouble getting on the regimen again.

Granted, I was a lot younger then, but in the late 1990s when I discovered low-carb eating by way of Dr. Eades and Protein Power, I dropped pounds effortlessly by cutting the carbs (obviously) and upping the protein to around 100 - 120 grams per day. Whenever I started gaining again, I'd use the same formula and the weight would come off, albeit more slowly each time.

Now, "nothing" seems to be working for me. That's why I'm looking forward to having more time in the immediate future to get down to basics. I want to follow Naiman's protocol and be the responsible adult I've always dreamed of being and take the probiotics and digestive enzymes every single day.
Sponsored Links