Old Mon, Oct-15-12, 20:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BFFM, BFL
Stats: 130/113/112 Female 64
BF:20%/17%/15%
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySage
Hi Starrunner! We're about the same pace with running it looks. I'm a proud 'Penguin', always have been. Like you I've been a runner off and on for years, especially through the 90s. Got back into it consistently two years ago and I did three fun runs in 2011. My neuro symptoms reared their ugly head about two weeks after a 10k a year ago. I run because I've always loved it and it's a great stress reducer. I love the 'zen' time it gives me and it's a great way to maintain my weight. Have you tried John Galloway's program? I started using his phone app about six months ago when I was just getting back out and walking after my surgery. All the years I ran I was a snob about walking, even during training and this last year I've really changed my tune! Because of some health issues and my neck surgery this year I'm happy to do a walk/run program and my running times are the same as they were when I would do a constant jog. If I get back to where I feel confident entering another fun run I have a different outlook on it now and won't pressure myself so much, just make it fun! Best wishes and stay in touch! I'd like to hear more about your running experiences. Meg

Hi Meg,
We do have alot in common with our running. I started running in 1994, and for me it was very much a stress reducer. My father had passed away in 1992, and lots of things changed in my life at that time. Running was a blessing for me. I was also a snob about walking, I would only run/jog. There were some people following the Galloway plan in my training groups at the time, but I didn't pay too much attention to it then. My running was really good for the first couple of years, but then I became somewhat injury prone and I had to start biking more. I did pressure myself alot back then, and at times running was actually causing more stress than it was relieving

This past spring I decided to start over completely as a runner and to set my goals as if I had never run before. It really took alot of the pressure off. I got alot of miles in, by walking and running. I did get the Galloway book on my Kindle but I haven't read it yet. I didn't follow any program this year, I just tried to get outside almost every day. I love being in the sun, and we had a nice warm summer this year.

I still don't have the running confidence to get back into a group or do a race, but I am hoping that I can do those things next summer.

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope you are feeling better.