Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Ginela, and welcome to our forum

Quote:
Originally posted by Ginela
I started the atkins Diet 3 weeks ago, let me tell you that it was hard........ Well I can't say that the diet doesn't work. I lost 20 pounds with it but...
20 lbs, in 3 weeks! .. .. Girl, you are doing just fine. It took me three MONTHS to lose 20 lbs, and I still have a long way to go. It is normal to lose rapidly at first, then slow down as your body "settles in" to the new way of eating (WOE). Joining the gym will really work wonders for you too. Don't just weigh on the scales my dear. Get yourself a measuring tape, and measure all over your body, your arms, neck, thighs and knees too, besides the bust, waist and hips, OK? When you are working out, you will burn the fat off, but you will be making muscle tissue. Muscle takes up less space than fat, so you may not see the weight on the scales go down, but the inches will be dropping.

The other thing to consider, especially if you are working out, is that you are eating enough protein. So many people just cut out all the carbs, but forget to replace it with good quality protein food - meat, fish, eggs, tofu and cheese. An average-build, sedentary woman needs 60 grams minimum per day ..... you are tall, and active, so your requirement will be much higher. Your body needs protein not just to build muscle, but to make all the tissues, organs, enzymes and hormones .... if you do not get the protein from the food you eat, your body will start using up your muscles to get what it needs.
Quote:
Something that I don't understand about the diet is the fact that you can't eat fruits because it makes you gain weight. But in my case I've always eaten fruits. I come from a tropical country where everybody eats fruits.
Fruits are full of sugar. It may not be the same as the white and brown sugar, but when it gets digested, and into your bloodstream, it is sugar nonetheless. It makes your insulin level go way up, and the insulin causes your body to make and store FAT. That's an over-simplification, but you get the idea. On the other hand, if fruit is something you really, really want and need to have in order to make a lowcarb diet workable for YOU, then maybe you might consider another program instead of Atkins. Protein Power by the Drs. Eades allows for some fruits, the Paleolithic diets are meat, vegetables and fruits, but no grains, pulses or dairy products. There are options for you. I don't have it right at hand, but I will post a list of some lower carb fruits later for you (sorry, bananas and mangoes are WAY high .. .) Remember to choose the whole fruit and NOT juices. Even "all natural" juices are just liquid sugar and carbs, yes lots of vitamins, but no FIBER.
Quote:
The other thing is that I don't do the diet anymore because I don't lose weight anymore ( for me is so depressing weighting myself every morning and hoping for a miracle) But for me it's so hard.
WHY IS IT THAT I DON'T LOOSE WEIGHT ANYMORE EVEN THOUGH I DO THE DIET???
Does anybody have tips for me....
Ginela, you are doing GREAT. Sounds more to me what you need is a big hug, and lots of support and encouragement. Well, you have come to the right place ..{{{}}}

If it's tips and hints you want, just click here for our Tips page .. http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips.html .., you'll find lots of ideas. Especially read Lowcarbing Basics, and Frequently Asked Questions.

Take care, and I look forward to reading your posts of your success!

Doreen

[Edited by doreen T on 14-02-01 at 20:33]