View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 06:58

Plan: General healthy lifestyle
Stats: 220/174/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default Concerns about long-term effects of Metformin

Hi! I have some concerns about taking Metformin long-term. I was diagnosed about four months ago as being extremely diabetic (Type 2), and my doctor prescribed me Metformin (1,000 mg 2x daily). At first, I had some severe digestive upsets. Now, my stomach seems to tolerate the drug better, but I have a constant low-key queasy feeling that never goes away. Just the smell of the pills (have you ever smelled a Metformin pill?!) is enough to make me not even want to look at food. At least it's helping me lose weight, lol. My appetite has diminished to the point where I have to remind myself that I have to eat.

Before starting Metformin, I had an iron stomach. I could eat absolutely anything, and had a great appetite. It was very rare for me to even get indigestion or heartburn. Since I've started taking Metformin, I don't feel like eating much of anything, and I get nauseous and tired if I eat very much.

My doctor tells me that I may have to stay on Metformin permanently, even with the dramatic and healthy lifestyle change that I have made. He says that my diabetes may not be controllable with diet and exercise alone (though I sure am trying to prove to him that it is possible - I've lost nearly 50 pounds so far). I am worried about the long-term effects of Metformin, though. Are there negative side effects besides the stomach upset to watch for? My doctor insists that it is safe, and I trust him (he's been our family doctor for years), but I always like to hear from people who have experienced the drug first-hand.

Has anyone else who has taken this medication (or knows someone who has) had a similar experience? Do people who have experienced the stomach upset and queasiness notice that it goes away after a while? And what are the long-term dangers (if any)?

Any help or comments are appreciated!
Mairi
Sponsored Links