View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-20, 10:25

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
"The people that are metabolically healthy already – they can eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, legumes. I’d suggest they stop drinking sugary beverages, stop getting 20% of calories from sugar, and they’ll be much healthier still, but that’s about it."

This is the essence of the confusion. Some, who have eaten healthy for most of their lives and have the metabolic tendencies to follow a mostly vegetarian diet with sugar avoidance, can eat fruits, grains, and other stuff I have avoided as a low carber. My metabolism doesn't allow me to consume grains and most fruits without a negative impact. Some is genetic predisposition, but it took a long time for me to find what works. I know people who are very fastidious with the foods they eat and are able to maintain good weight and good health. They eat things I've learned to avoid. I know people who vary back-and-forth and develop unmanageable cravings when eating certain carbs, have a weight problem, and as they age, develop the usual symptoms associated with insulin resistance. As Taubes mentions, the contradictory information about diets and nutrition is so prevalent that one almost needs to shut out the noise and start an n=1 approach by finding what works independently. That's extremely difficult in today's world where media sources are all too willing to tout what's considered "healthy," especially around the holidays. And as soon as someone perceived as an expert makes the statement, "everything in moderation," the whole thing comes crashing down for those who are trying to find a solution but are uncertain about the path. The reason? If it's on TV, the Internet blogs, or stated by the medical community, it must be true. Many don't attempt to change their WOE long enough to know that cravings disappear when one fully adapts. In this ASAP world, people think one weekend of healthy eating should resolve all this. That world doesn't exist.