View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-23, 15:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I corrected my low thyroid symptoms with a combination of weight loss and adding more nutrients through improved diet, esp. selenium, iodine, and all the vitamins and minerals from vegetables I had been restricting.

Quote:
DDF FAQ 8.11 Is my thyroid stopping me from losing weight?

Many people who have excess stored fat and metabolic syndrome have some level of thyroid dysfunction. However, similar to insulin, this is often a result of obesity rather than the cause.

If you are taking medication for your thyroid, you should continue to have your thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) monitored by your health care team and adjust your medications as required.

Your thyroid is a central governor of your metabolism. Like insulin, your pituitary gland will ramp up production of thyroid-stimulating hormone to rev your metabolic rate if you have more energy to burn off. As you lose weight and reduce your blood glucose, your body won’t need as much thyroid-stimulating hormone to keep your metabolism elevated. Thus, your TSH levels may decrease. Many people have had to decrease their medication to accommodate their normalising TSH levels as they make progress with Data-Driven Fasting.

It’s also worth noting that consuming adequate amounts of nutrients like selenium, iodine, niacin, histidine, and tyrosine is critical to healthy thyroid function.. Hence, prioritising nutrient-dense meals from whole foods is also a crucial part of the equation.

If you find your blood sugars are low and stable and your weight loss has stalled later in your Data-Driven Fasting journey, an occasional small bolus of carbs can boost thyroid function and metabolic rate to restart weight loss when your blood sugars start to bottom out. See Metabolic flexibility: How to give your body what it needs when it needs it for more info.