Old Tue, Feb-07-17, 18:46
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiltm
Ken, would you attribute that drop to length of time, or overall weight loss?

That is hard to say and I'd only be guessing. For one thing, at that time I was tweaking my diet and doing 3 new things all at once. 1) I was starting to work in intermittent fasts, 2) I had broken my foot and changed my diet to very low carb and cut the calories to keep the scale moving, and 3) I was working on eliminating snacking (eating only at meal time). So I was eating less food, less carbs, and less often at that point in the journey compared to what I had done for the first 9 months. This shift occurred nearly a year into this WOE and I still weighed about 300 pounds. I was still quite obese.

So what triggered that insulin sensitivity "event?" I really can't say for sure. I know that some Type 2 diabetics remain very sensitive to carbs. They must remain very low carb to keep their BG under control. For them it may be less about insulin sensitivity and more about not producing enough insulin. So I'm pretty sure that this is a case of YMMV. This is what happened to me. There is no way to know if this is typical or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiltm
I'll bite the bullet and start stabbing myself. *Shudder*

If you haven't noticed, I like data. But I was squeamish about poking myself in the beginning, too. Once I got into it I got used to the process. I don't know that you need to do it as often as I did. I got a little OCD with it for the first few months, testing as much as 8 or 10 times a day. I learned a lot about how the foods I ate affected my BG. I learned how sensitive I still was to carbs and saw that change over time. Even the order that I ate mattered. For example, if I had my LC vegetable beef soup (about 10 net carbs) before a meal I'd have a higher BG spike than I would if I'd eaten the soup with or after the rest of my meal. Having protein, fat, and fiber with the soup dampened my BG response. In the end I learned how I should eat to keep my BG as normal as possible. That gave me better satiety between meals. It just so happened that the insulin resistance was resolved while I was testing regularly. I could tell that I tolerated carbs better, but I hadn't seen that graph from my app until recently. It is clear that something was going on in those first few months of 2015.