View Single Post
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-15, 13:42

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Major victory today. I do miss a really tasty savoury Italian pasta dish. Make similar at home without the pasta but when dining out that choice isn't often available. You know the kind with chicken, chorizo, mushrooms cheese, herbs, cream and pasta. Plus some other delicious little additions that you can only get at an Italian style restaurant! Well after big day, xmas visiting elderly relatives, we called in at one of those restaurants on the way home. Just didn't fancy a steak which was the meatiest meal. Majority were either pasta based or chip or bun based. Went for the pasta with all the afore mentioned favourite ingredients. Ate all the o/p things and not one single piece of pasta. So chuffed and to be honest it wasn't a hardship. Really the pasta just bulks things up and without the tasty accompaniments, which I ate, it would just be a bland filler.
Really hit home that pasta, bread, potatoes, without savoury additions, are nothing more than fillers. Similar to what is added to sausages, animal feed and many more everyday items. Keep on keeping on.
We have a really good italian restaurant in town that we like to go to. They have fantastic pasta dishes. I haven't been able to get them to substitute an innocuous vegetable for the pasta, but last time I was there, I told them to cut WAY back on the pasta "I don't care if it is a smaller serving"! It worked great, looked like soup but tasted fantastic without all the "filler". Even my husband was jealous of my dish.

Getting restaurants to serve dishes without rice has been easy. And they don't even bat an eye when I tell them to hold the bun. The more we hammer on them to cater to our needs, the easier it will be for the low-carber that comes after us. And when we reach a critical level, they will realize how important it is to have more options for us. If you don't have good options, you will lose our business, but if you do cater to us, you'll have a very loyal customer.

Restaurants love to use lots of filler ingredients like pasta, etc..because they are cheap, make the serving size look good, and don't need much prep work. The better quality a restaurant is, the less they will depend on that cheap stuff.