Thread: Is a Vitamin D
View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-09, 09:14

Plan: My own
Stats: 290/250/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hello, Nancy. I do read Davis' blog and anything else I can get my hands (browser these days) on. :-)

As far as I know, the only strength of Lovaza sold is the one gram capsules containing 465 mg EPA plus 375 mg DHA equaling 840 mg of EPA+DHA (which as you note, is what counts). I take two capsules twice daily (four a day total) or 360 every 90 days. I believe this is the most commonly prescribed dosage.

My Lovaza bottle states a total omega-3-acid ethyl esters of "at least 900 mg" per capsule. I believe this is the number Davis cites for his Costco capsules in the blog post Ted linked to above, but I don't believe Davis has ever cited the EPA or DHA numbers for them (these are sometimes not available for less expensive products).

The other reason I mentioned magnesium and fish oil was for the original poster, Hismouse, since these (and calcium and diet) are related to vitamin D supplementation. I congratulate her on getting tested and determining her own supplement requirement, rather than accepting an X-thousand unit rule of thumb. I hope she also researches these related supplements and shops for herself, rather than just accepts data which may or may not be entirely accurate in her case.