View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-19, 09:44
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Trying to negotiate for the use of my hands for something other than scritching cats here, and not making much headway. Effective technique on their side is walking in front of the screen. Pfffuwf! Pardon the cat hair!
I agree with Carole--food in Ireland can be so wonderful for an LC way of life: the little butcher shops with the meat spread out so lovingly with the farm of origin and date of butcher (and I think sometimes the animal's first name and interests, but I may be misremembering. . .) The lovely veggies and fruits, the fresh, pasture-raised dairy. Yumm!

I'm making my way back down from a recent regain as well--stats not updated, so don't go by that. I had made it down to 130, stayed there awhile--a major victory, because `touchdown' had been my weight-loss style in the past--and then went back up into the 140's this winter, and it just didn't seem to budge. Just this last week got back down into the 130's, and am enjoying the way that feels.
The reason I did not go further up-up-and-awayyy on my regain is that there are some foods I just don't eat--don't eat grains, don't eat sugar, don't eat highly-processed foods. This regain was on on-plan foods, but too much of them, I'm guessing, at the wrong times, and going light on exercise for awhile.
So. What worked for me a few years ago when I restarted was taking the `decision-making' part of it off the table. I work in a very foody environment, where the breakroom is part of the major thoroughfare at work. Without going the long way round, you walk through it to reach co-workers. And people bring food in all the time--pastries, cakes, chips, etc., to share out of generosity. Or they order out together and come around and ask if you're in on the order. And so on.

One day I realized that I make crappy decisions. Full stop.

That was a powerful turning point and tool for me. If I put myself through the decision-making process for each opportunity to eat off plan, sooner or later I'm going to cave; that's a given. (Re-read that--it's the key to the kingdom.) If we make decisions in the moment, they're not always going to align with our goals. So I made a meta-decision, a large overarching decision that I just don't need that, don't want it, no, the answer is no. And for the first long while, it was all in my head. When a co-worker would knock on my door and offer me chocolate, and then ask, "Are you sure? It's dark chocolate?" I wanted it, a little at least. I wanted the hit, the dark chocolate moment--but then I remembered I wanted something larger than that, beyond the moment. I wanted the freedom that came with having my life back as I knew it could be. And I would say, "No thanks. I've already had my share," like a 1950's alcoholic going off the bottle. And now they don't even ask. People put candy on one another's desks for each candy-related holiday. Going around the calendar, there are a lot of them: Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Halloween, Christmas-Christmas-Christmas. It was hard, a bit, at first, but now I don't stop and think about it--I pick it up and take it to a co-worker who will appreciate it. And I'm happy to do it now.
I've worked there for years, and the same people who had a weight problem when I started or when they started still do, with one exception I can think of, and myself. So if I'm tempted, I remind myself of how I feel and look, how my clothes fit, of my mobility and grace in contrast with how I used to move, and feel like it's a small price to pay if price it is.

I don't have off-plan foods in the house. Full stop. If only for health reasons, we don't need the crap around.

Once you get your head around the I-just-don't-eat-that-stuff idea, it gets easier. Stop telling yourself you're going on a diet (temporary) to lose weight (short-term goal) and just start eating this way and the weight loss becomes a lovely by-product.