View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-18, 08:47
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

The "eat when hungry, stop when full" advice only took me so far. I find that satiety comes too slowly for me and I can eat more food than I need - even if it is very low carb food. For the first 9 months of my weight loss I just kept carbs < 30 net and that was sufficient to suppress my appetite enough to lose the first 100 pounds. But I noticed my weight loss slowing down quickly. I tracked my food on MY PLAN for a few days and found that I was still eating 2800 to 3200 calories per day. That may have been OK when I weighed 440 pounds and had a base metabolism near 4000 calories per day. But that wasn't going to get me to my goal weight. I noticed that my snacks added up to more than 500 calories per day. The first thing I did was to work on eliminating snacking between meals. I started with not snacking after dinner and then worked on the between time of the other meals.

At about the same time I was working on the snacking issue I started experimenting with intermittent fasting. The idea of missing a meal was actually terrifying to me at the time, but it turned out to be much easier than I thought. Skipping breakfast, getting an 18 hour fast between dinner and lunchtime was easy-peasy. Doing a 23 hour fast from dinner to dinner was a little tougher. I only did a few of those in the coming months and they did get easier with practice.

It took some diligence but within a month or two I was able to get my eating down to 2000 (give or take) calories per day. That was sufficient to get me to goal. I didn't have hunger issues with it either. As it turned out the extra eating was more habit than need. I had to work on some bad habits. I also had to lay off of the Atkins bars. It was apparent that they were a "problem food" for me. I tended to binge on them.

Anyway - that's what I did to keep the scale moving. If you've stalled out that long I think that it is time for you to start tweaking your diet. I made several tweaks on my journey to goal. When you eat low carb you have the control that you need to make such tweaks. But you still have to have the mindset to do it. It is work at first, but eventually you will adjust and it will become your new normal

I hope this helps.