View Single Post
  #33   ^
Old Tue, May-22-18, 18:35

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Just started The End of Alzheimer's: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline, Dale Bredesen 2017

from the bottom of page 9 to the top of page 10:

[after explaining about the failure of the amyloid-beta hypothesis drugs...]

If you have a high risk of developing Alzheimer's because of the genes you carry, if you have already developed it, or if you have a loved one who has, you therefore have every right to be very upset about this situation.

No wonder we have come to fear Alzheimer's disease as omnipotent. As hopeless. As impervious to any and all treatments.

Until now.

Let me say this as clearly as I can: Alzheimer's disease can be prevented, and in many cases its associated cognitive decline can be reversed. For that is precisely what my colleagues and I have shown in peer-reviewed studies in leading medical journals - studies that, for the first time, describe exactly this remarkable result in patients. Yes. I know it flouts decades of conventional wisdom to claim that cognitive decline can be reversed, that there are hundreds of patients who have done just that, and that there are steps we can all take now to prevent the cognitive decline that experts have long believed to be unavoidable an irreversible. These are bold claims deserving of healthy skepticism. I expect you to exercise that skepticism as you read about the three decades of research in my lab, which culminated in the first reversals of cognitive decline in early Alzheimer's disease and it's precursors, MCI (mild cognitive impairment) and SCI (subjective cognitive impairment). I expect you to exercise that skepticism as you read the stories of these patients, patients who climbed out of the abyss of cognitive decline. I expect you to exercise that skepticism as you read about the personalized therapeutic programs we developed to enable everyone to prevent cognitive impairment and, if they are already showing signs of it, to stop mental decline in its tracks and restore their ability to remember, to think, and to once again live a cognitively healthy life.

- Dale E. Bredesen, MD