Old Fri, Apr-05-13, 14:19
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
Thanks so much for responding. I'll carefully read the links suggested. The specific thyroid numbers were:

Thyroxine (T4) .............7.8
T3 Uptake ...................39
Free Thyroxine Index.... 3.0
TSH ............................2.780
T4, Free (Direct).......... 1.51

I googled thyroid symptoms and it said:

Feeling tired, weak, or depressed.
Dry skin and brittle nails.
Not being able to stand the cold.
Constipation.
Memory problems or having trouble thinking clearly.
Heavy or irregular menstrual periods.

Only "feeling tired occasionally" applies to me, but I'm 63 and work a full day every day and schlep back and forth to work on the subway, so I think I'm entitled to be a bit tired, lol. Memory is not as good as it used to be either, but then again there's so much more stored in there than, say, 20 years ago.

Would be interested to know if the thyroid numbers look okay or if I should ask for the Free T3 and Reverse T3 tests. Honestly, my doctor is starting to HATE the internet!

Check out the symptoms list on the Stop The Thyroid Madness website. It's a bit more comprehensive than most of the others. As for the thyroid numbers, do you have the ranges that were listed for each test? It helps to know whether the numbers were near the top of the range, middle, bottom, etc. My gut feeling from your TSH and Free T4 is that you are hypothyroid, but you might have to find a doctor who is better educated about proper thyroid treatment. In addition to the Free T3 and Reverse T3 tests, you need both antibody tests to rule out Hashimoto's, an autoimmune thyroid disease. I had to switch doctors to get one who was really well-versed in thyroid treatment.

--Melissa