#13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-15, 21:40

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
A lot of people do. Because they are specifically targeted to decrease inflammation. Which is the enemy of sleep.

I assume both of you are talking about ibuprofen or similar NSAIDS? I often took ibuprofen as a sleep aid, until I realized it was both very hard on the liver, and keeping my chronic overuse-type injuries from healing. As soon as I quit taking it for a while, my chronic pains went away. Hoping there is no long-term liver damage. I never had any idea why that would work, but you've given me something to chew on.

The best way to increase serotonin is an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) such as Prozac. I DO NOT recommend it! I've been on a serotonin-norepinenphrine reuptake inhibitor for 34 years (amitryptiline). Once again I am trying very hard to wean off of it, as there are some icky side affects such as dry mouth, weight gain and rapid heart beat. Serotonin itself probably wouldn't survive the digestive tract, and wouldn't pass the blood/brain barrier to get where you need it.

In general, supplements have not proven helpful for sleep improvement (in the long run) for most people. Sleep hygiene and general health care is a better way to attack it. I've had really good results with bio-identical hormones (post-menopausal), but that may not be an option for some people.