View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-19, 18:19

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I wonder how increasing availability of online grocery shopping with "pick it up at the curb" and/or delivery service is going to impact on product placement in brick and mortar grocery stores.

Even my small town grocery store now has employees pushing big carts around the store gathering together the online customers' orders. I suspect that as those services become more popular, it's going to make more sense to arrange products more "warehouse" style so that items that are often bought together are kept stored NEAR one another instead being widely separated. Stores WANT to keep you and me walking up and down aisles as long as possible, but when it's one of their paid employees doing the aisle walking and item searching, they'll want the task to be finished quickly! And, employee-order-fulfillers searching for the particular brand of cereal requested by an online shopper are not going to be adding pop-tarts and candied cereal bars on a whim!

Much as I hate grocery shopping, most of what I shop for (meat and fresh produce) is stuff that I actually want to LOOK at and SELECT. So I don't WANT someone else doing my shopping for me.

BUT, if I were a Mom with small children to lug along with me on grocery shopping forays, and if I were the typical shopper filling my cart mostly with cans and boxes of various processed foods, you can bet I'd start doing my shopping online! I'd probably quickly decide that the additional cost of letting somebody walk around and pick up my groceries was more than worthwhile to avoid the aggravation of a small child begging for various junk food items!