View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 22:17

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

atlee, let me put your fears of being a viking bride to rest Women do not have the hormonal profile to get 'huge' naturally - it takes some unnatural help.

I'm with the ladies, lifting heavier for fewer reps should give you the results you're looking for. The lactic acid burn you're referring to is not the same thing has lifting to positive failure. Failure is when you can't complete another repetition, and it tends to happen rather soon when lifting heavier weights. What lighter weights for many reps produces is a tired muscle.

As for the degree of soreness, you'll find you're a lot less sore when you LC due simply to less muscle glycogen stores in your tissue. When I lift while eating higher carb I am a lot sorer a lot longer than when I do so while eating LC. As well, the more you lift the greater the likelihood you wont feel sore at all - it doesn't mean you haven't done any damage though (damage being a good thing!).

In the end mixing things up when it comes to weight lifting is a good thing - our bodies adapt to what we do. Changing the reps, the weights, the exercises and the time between sets will all go along way to bringing back the DOMS and to producing growth.

You might also want to have a look through the thread stuck in this forum about "Advice for the beginner, getting started" - there are some good pointers on sets, reps and workout schemes.

Best of luck with the sleeveless dress!
Nat