View Single Post
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-05, 09:56

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I read a book years ago about just this. (I tried to find it so I could give you the exact title, but I couldn't find it. The author was even on TV at the time it came out. More about that later.) Anyway, that was the philosophy. Have all you want, and more. Keep it around, and after a while, you won't want to binge any more because you will have overcome the feelings of deprivation.

I wonder if this was one of the excellent books by Geneen Roth about eating disorders.

I read all her books back in the late 80's when I officially 'gave up' dieting. I think the concept of intuitive eating can be very valuable, with a caveat.

Back then, having dieting most of my life to no lasting effect, I embraced the philosophy of the size acceptance movement which held that dieting doesn't work, and repeated unsuccessful attempts just make you fatter and less healthy in the long run.

So I did the excersizes recommended in the recovering from eating disorder books. I ate what I wanted when I wanted and learned to listen to what my body wanted to eat and figure out what 'hungry' and 'full' actually felt like.

1. My weight did stabilize, although at an unacceptably high number. But at least I quit gaining for the first time in my life.

2. It really did help me work out some emotional issues, and learn what 'hungry' felt like.

3. I really feel that the work I did then gave me the strength I need to be successful now.

The caveat to the program is, if you are highly insulin resistant, you WON'T lose much weight until you keep your insulin under control. And you CAN'T get your insulin under control without restricting carbs. The concept is based on a functioning system, and we who are carb addicts have an improperly functioning system.

Having done the emotional work and the excersizes, I did get over a lifetime of accumulated deprivation.

So now I'm in the right emotional place to learn to be an 'intuitive' eater (if one can be said to learn anything thing intuitive) with the caveat that high carb items are non food and can't be eaten, the same way you can't eat foods you're allergic to.

I now definitely choose what sounds good among the low carb choices, and I get a lot of variation. I also definitely am not interested in food if I'm not hungry, and I most definitely get a little signal that says 'Thats Enough!' and am able to stop.

Having removed the addictions, the rest of food doesn't interest me, so I only eat what I need to.

But I don't think I could be here if I hadn't had a period of guilt free eating. I don't know.

I'm not sure I'll get thin eating the way I do. That's up to my body. At this point, if I could get to 'normal' I'm not at all sure I'd care about 'thin', so I'm not worrying about it yet.