#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 11:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Explaining ECC/PECC/Fiber and Carbs

For those viewing in ECC mode, you will notice that the ECC has been replaced with PECC, and has a hyperlink to explainin what it is here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/faq.php?...rition#faq_pecc

This is a FAQ entry, with the following text:
Quote:
What is PECC and why does not always subtract fiber?
PECC stands for Possible Effective Carb Count.

With the recent popularity of low-carb diets, many manufacturers have started subtracting fiber from the carb count. Label regulations in many countries allow this subtraction.

As some low-carb plan instruct followers that they may subtract the fiber count from the total carb count, this, this was called (Effective Carb Count).

However, since the food labels now have started subtracting the fiber from the total carb count, some low-carb dieters may not be aware of this, and would still re-subtract the fiber from the already reduce carb count.

Example: A manufacturer may list an item as having 10 grams of carbohydrates and 9 grams of fiber.

The dieter may assume that this item has an effective carb count of 1 gram.

But this is incorrect, since the manufacturer has already subtracted the fiber.

The food item actually had 19 grams of carbohydrates.

How do we know if the manufacturer has already subtracted the fiber?

By calculating the coloric composition of the food item.

The label in the above example would have stated 40 calories from 10 grams of carbs. Since 1 gram of carbs contains about 4 calories, this indicates that the fiber has alreay been subtracted (since the 40 calories account for 10 grams of carbs).

Had the label stated 19 grams of carbs, you would expect 76 calories. But since the label stated 40 calories, this confirms the fiber has already been subtracted.

The My P.L.A.N. tool displays the ECC as PECC to make it clear that this is a calculated value based on the label information.

Why show this value?

By default, the My P.L.A.N. tool does not display the PECC value. You can turn it on from your "Edit Settings" page from inside My P.L.A.N.

Please let me know if you have any suggested additions/edits to make it as clear as possible to other members.

Wa'il
Sponsored Links