View Single Post
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 15:28
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I think the most controversial thing about Atkins is the theory that you can eat saturated fat and decent amounts of it and it wont kill you. In fact it is healthy and beneficial to do so.

Even when you read articles that try to be positive they still have to mention something about all that yucky saturated fat. Those harmful saturated fats etc.

By Atkins nutritionals now changing their tune they pretty much said yes we agree saturated fats aren't good for you. All you skeptics were correct.

I feel betrayed in the sense that I have told so many about the benefits of fat and yes saturated fat.
Coconuts, meat, butter, cheese, mayonnaise, avocados etc. And people would look at me like I had 3 heads.

A friend of mine began Atkins a month or so ago. She read through the books and was doing well but was deathly afraid of fats, especially saturated. Her father had a very difficult time struggling with heart disease and all she remembers is cutting out all the fat in her diet as a child, especially saturated fat. She was so fearful of it. I finally got her to unlearn all that she was brainwashed to believe and she just started feeling better and eating more fats and all of a sudden this comes out and she is freaked out. She wants to know why the sudden limit on saturated fat. What makes saturated fats so evil now, and frankly, I would like to know too.

Ever since this article all I am hearing and will be for some time I suppose is you see, saturated fats aren't good for you. You see, Atkins says you shouldn't eat so much fat etc.

People want to hear negative, they want to hear negative about Atkins they want to hear fat is bad they want to be assured that saturated fat is really as horrible as they thought. That saturated fat is this artery clogging evil and the article was written to get just that type of reaction.

I get a variety of fats in my diet. I eat olive oil, avocados, chicken, meat, eggs etc. my saturated fat for the past week is around 31% I am sure there are weeks where its lower and weeks where its higher. I have no intentions of changing that.

I usually average 65-70% fat 25-30% protein and 5% carbs.

I have never felt better in my life and I am looking better with each day that passes.