View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-14-00, 10:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile Re: SAD

(Notice I did NOT pick the smiley with sunglasses - sunglasses Bad! Bright light Good!)

No, you haven't confused me at all Doreen, thanks for the info and support!

I don't want to say I'm *glad* you have SAD - but I'm glad that there's a supportive, knowledgeable low-carber such as yourself out there,who knows what I'm talking about. Maybe we can help each other through the coming dark winter months . . . ?

I've been tootling around the Web for the past couple of years (on and off) and have found some info, some of which you mentioned (much more clearly and succinctly, I might add!). I'll try to get the Celeste Peters book from the library, as soon as they finish being on strike (but that's another story).

I have a light box - like yours it's a "sort-of" desk lamp. I bought it through a medical supply shop so I know I'm using the right thing. I've had it for a couple of years, and I find it helps somewhat, but not enough to put me at summertime levels of mood and energy. Still, it's better than sleeping all day! For me, it seems to work best if I use it for a whole hour in the morning, and then another hour in the late afternoon. I've recently discovered I can rig it up near my computer, so it shines in my eyes while I'm keyboarding, and for some reason the intense light doesn't even bother me. Maybe there's something to the theory that at least some SAD people have reduced sensitivity to light. I hardly ever wear sunglasses, even on the brightest days, and have always loved soaking up the sun, even before I ever heard of SAD.

For me, it's not really a depressive thing, it's more of a hibernation thing. If I could sit in my room all winter with my computer, a stack of library books, and a warm fuzzy blanket, I'd probably be quite content. Unfortunately, there's a world out there we have to FUNCTION in, and for me, that's where the depression comes in - when I have neither the motivation nor the energy to do the things I have to do, and then I start beating up on myself.

The lack of motivation is particularly a worry because this year I'm self-employed (I'm a writer/editor). I'm finding it almost impossible to drum up new contracts . . . picking up the phone, or even writing or e-mailing complete strangers is next to impossible. I don't know how to handle this aspect of my work. I don't enjoy "selling myself" at the best of times. I really don't know how I'll manage during the winter . . . any tips (better yet, job offers! ) would be vastly appreciated . . .

Well, I've probably gone on long enough. Thanks for listening. My friends are supportive but can't really understand what I'm talking about, and at this point, I think I know almost as much about SAD and its treatment(s) as my doctor does, at least judging by our last conversation.

Thanks again,
Rachel