View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 11:34

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Malik urges people trying to lose weight to target foods such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables and nuts, while limiting saturated fat, added sugar and added sodium. Balance those practices with daily physical exercise, and you've established a solid base for weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. Although she argues against daily calorie counting, Malik urges caution about portion sizes – there's no use in overeating.

Going back to this bit--I advocate calling what you're doing--what you're actually doing. Don't calorie count, just control your portion sizes. Why? So you don't eat too many calories. Go ahead and do the thing--just do it in an imprecise way. Close your eyes, Luke, or however that goes. Heaven forbid you should take in any data.

I am all for counting calories. If I eat a certain way, and it allows me to either lose weight while eating more calories, or to eat less calories without discomfort--how will I know this, if I don't keep some sort of track of the calories I've eaten? Here's an experiment--eat 2000 calories a day as potato chips and pizza. Count every calorie. Now do the same thing--with pork chops and bacon. Or just cheese and nuts. Or try to do a 2000 calorie a day potato hack.

Or you can just go by the 'feels.' You might eat 2000 calories of pizza--but it feels like less food than if you're trying to eat just potatoes, or just pork chops. But you won't know for reals unless you take some sort of measurement. Are you eating more of the weight loss diet--or does it just feel like more food? Our perceptions are distorted when we're hungry, or stuffed.

Sometimes I'll measure out my porkchops, five ounces per, if I'm targeting deeper ketosis. If I don't weigh for a few months, and try to eye a five ounce piece--on measuring it, I'll invariably find that five ounces has become disappointingly small. Our perception of portion size is not to be trusted, only kitchen scales and measuring cups can be trusted.

I'm not saying some people won't find some metabolic advantage, differences in feed efficiency between one diet and another, that it's all about the calories--I'm saying you won't have measured the difference if you don't um measure.

I do think the best place to get is eating types of food where your appetite matches your goal weight. While we're at it--it's all right to eat to maintain or target a certain weight. Fine to prioritize health over that, but unless you're targeting super model thinness, usually those two targets have enough overlap for me. I think too often, it's about the health not the weight looks like an excuse for an approach not achieving one of its goals.