View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-20, 23:26

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

The usual fear of eliminating "healthy" grains/carbohydrate-rich plant matter. And this:
Quote:
As the keto diet essentially nixes the body's intake of carbs, the body searches for an alternative source of fuel. Before long, the body breaks down fat, muscle and tissues to sustain itself, Mechanick said.

"In theory, the keto diet basically mimics starvation," Mechanick said. "If you don't eat carbohydrates but you eat an excessive amount of fat and protein, you're still going to waste tissue. Tissue is still going to burn off."
Yes, tissue will be and should be burned off: FAT. That's the point of the diet, to waste/burn off fat. But if sufficient protein is eaten, it and not muscle and other body tissues will be used for metabolic needs such as gluconeogenesis to provide glucose to those few tissues which need it. And an "excessive amount of fat and protein," by whose definition? For those who dismiss the healthiness of meat/saturated fat it wouldn't take much of these foods to get declared "excessive." For me, I eat a lot of these foods and don't consider my amounts excessive but rather just right for my needs.