View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-24, 12:16

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

The whole point of BC pills and IUDs is to induce temporary infertility. I feel certain that the birth control failure rate with either one is significantly higher than the potential permanent infertility rate.

I knew that it was possible for IUD's to cause infertility, due to the potential to cause damage to the uterus or infection that could result in scarred and blocked Fallopian tubes - that's one of the reasons why I didn't opt for that when I was of child-bearing age.... which was of course a LONG time ago. But the IUD's available back then were different from the ones available now. I seriously doubt they're any more likely to cause infertility now than they were back then.

I knew it was possible for it to take several months after going off BC pills way back when for normal fertility to resume - but even at the much higher level of hormones in them back then, the vast majority of women were able to get pregnant within a a couple of months after stopping the pill. But with the current significantly lower dosage that's so delicately balanced that you can get preggers if you're a few hours late taking a pill? Surely you'd need to be someone who did not have normal fertility to begin with (and simply weren't aware because you'd never tried to get pregnant before) for it to end up being permanent infertility - or so close to menopause when you quit them that your normal fertility did not have a chance to recover.

And I have to wonder just how many of the women who find out they're infertile after having an IUD removed, or discontinuing BC pills are so obese that it's the obesity that's causing the infertility? (or the opposite end of the spectrum - so anorexic thin that lack of sufficient weight is what's causing infertility?)