View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 20:04

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 160/149/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Nancy LC, you must be prescient. 5 days after you introduced me to the word "oxalate," I ended up in the emergency room with calcium oxalate kidney stones! The ER doctor told me that diet has nothing to do with it, but the nutritionist I saw the next day said there is considerable debate over this, and he suggested I limit my consumption of oxalate-containing foods. Which I am doing.

The nutritionist also told me to take CompleteGest, which contains "vegetarian enzymes that help completely digest all foods," and Probiotic Pearls, which contain "L. acidophilus and B. longum to increase healthy intestinal flora." Not for the kidney stones, but for my ongoing intestinal problems, which have been pretty calm for 4 days now. I stopped eating everything except brown rice and protein (eggs, pork, beef, chicken) because none of these cause trouble. I added in rice milk yesterday and seem to be doing well with that, along with quinoa and buckwheat. I know it's non-Paleo, but choices are slim for me these days.

It was nice to talk to a professional who, when I mentioned the term "leaky gut," did not tell me that that's an interesting theory. In fact, he told me that I very likely do have a leaky gut, and that probably a lot more than lectins are passing through it and causing autoimmune reactions.

Meanwhile, I've been home for 2 days trying to flush out the stones with huge amounts of water, clutching my heating pad in one hand and Vicadin in the other....