Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 12:04
Lurking LowCarber

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by songwritur
I too am sick over the people who have taken over Atkins Nutritionals since Dr Atkins death. It's disgusting and a disgrace.

Net Carbs were discussed by Dr. Atkins himself in DANDR and AfL. Net Carbs are nothing new. It actually is helpful to people, allowing them to better understand just which carbohydrates are "good" to eat.

Quote:
First they start this Net Carb crap just to sell more products to stay under Dr Atkins 20 carbs a day theory.

Also, the "20 carbs a day theory" is only for induction. Granted, induction can last as long as one likes, but there is no rule that anyone following the Atkins plan needs to stay to less than 20 carbs a day. That's absolutely insane for some people since they'd be losing weight far too rapidly.

Quote:
I am so disgusted and am thinking about going of this diet or at least following dr atkins original plan and not counting so called NET carbs but whole carbs. and I will never buy anything from atkins nutritionals but find my own carbless products

"Carbless" is not the way to go, as there are many foods with carbs in them that are quite healthy, such as green vegetables. Fiber does not count as a carb since your body can not actually process it the same as other carbs. That's one of the numbers that can be removed to reach the Net Carb total.

I think the main thing here is to follow the LC plan that works best for you, and encourage people to do as much reading and research about LC as possible, and then follow the plan that works best for them. There is a lot of healthy advice contained in many of the plans, even in low-fat plans, that a lot of people will scoff because it doesn't have a certain stamp of approval.

Far too many people jump into the LC WOL without being informed and this is what turns good health plans such as Atkins into crazy fads. People wind up making up their own rules or misconstruing information they've heard from other uninformed individuals.