View Single Post
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 08:47

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

I just went to the Atkins website and submitted this comment to them:

Today, the NY Times published an article (Make That Steak a Bit Smaller, Atkins Advises Today's Dieters) that said that Colette Heimowitz, Atkins nutritionist, has been saying that only twenty percent of a dieter's calories should come from saturated fat.

I looked in the "Science Behind Atkins" section of the site, but I couldn't find any studies to back that up. The only studies I've seen suggest that saturated fats are not dangerous when combined with a low-carb diet. Yes, Dr. Atkins suggested getting your fat from a variety of sources, but where did you get the figure of twenty percent?

To be blunt, the impression this is leaving among dedicated Atkins followers is that this new suggestion has more to do with marketing than with health, and also that it's something Dr. Atkins would not have agreed with. We believe in the work Dr. Atkins did during his lifetime because it was based on real data and not swayed by the "diet of the minute"; that's why we follow this lifestyle. It's also why we support the Atkins company by purchasing the low-carb products available.

If there is a valid scientific reason to limit saturated fat intake to twenty percent of your calories, the supporting study or studies should be listed on your website. If it is listed and I somehow missed it, please send me the link.