BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Followup article: Wendy's Witless Rebuttal

Why low-carbohydrate diets don't usually work

By Wendy Large

Originally published Monday, May 19, 2003

link to article

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am taking a break this week in my series on weight loss options to discuss some of the feedback I received about last week's column on the "Atkins" or low-carbohydrate diets.

Boy, did I ever get feedback, and I learned that for some the subject of diet can be as touchy as politics or religion.

For those who didn't read it, I began by admitting that I have not partaken in such a diet, and I never will. Then, in a nutshell, I said I am not a believer in any eating plan that requires you to severely limit one type of food, such as carbohydrates. To lose weight, you must burn more calories than you take in, and fat happens to have more calories per gram than either protein or carbohydrates.

Thanks to those of you who sent feedback. Some thought I brought up some points they hadn't thought of, and one person copied the column for her spouse who was thinking of using a low-carb diet to lose weight. Others pointed out that the Atkins diet has different stages, and I didn't mention that in last week's column.

Some people disagreed strongly, and were concerned because I have not read Dr. Atkins' book from cover to cover, so let me be clear: Proponents of low-carb diets can point to the New York Times Best Seller List, or studies funded by organizations that have a financial stake in the diet plans.

Skeptics such as myself can point to a mountain of medical information to the contrary. I have researched the Atkins Diet and other low-carb diets through the official Web sites of those organizations. I have seen and read news coverage -- both pro and con -- and read articles on this issue in professional and medical journals. At the MedCentral Health & Fitness Center we have hosted seminars by nutrition experts who see this the way I do.

Most importantly, as someone who works every day with people who are trying to improve their fitness levels, I have known many who have tried a low-carb diet. Most people quit after a couple of weeks, and exactly one was able to maintain weight loss after more than a couple of months.

For those of you who have found weight loss success by following a low-carb diet, congratulations and I wish you success in your maintenance program. I don't expect you to change your mind. But for those who are thinking about starting a low-carb plan, let the buyer beware.

I remain convinced of the following: For most people, if your goal is to lose fat you currently have stored in your body, you should consume less fat, and the best way to lose weight and keep it off is to decrease your caloric intake while increasing your caloric expenditure through exercise.

Wendy Large, 34, is the manager of MedCentral Health and Fitness Center. If you would like a specific Gen X health and fitness topic tackled, drop her an e-mail at wlarge~medcentral.org and look for the subject in an upcoming column.

Originally published Monday, May 19, 2003