View Single Post
  #183   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-10, 03:49

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thank you, Amanda, vielen lieben Dank

I indeed remember you referring me to the books of Dr. Diana Schwarzbein, and, yes, I have read them a few months ago. And I intend to reread them. Indeed my tests point clearly in the direction of adrenal fatigue. It's no wonder, since I have approximately 7 years of extreme stress, worries and health problems past me. I am still not in a position where I can say that I have peace, but at least at the moment things are going better and looking up somewhat.

I too diagnosed myself, after reading a lot. In June I changed doctors, because I realized if I want to heal myself, I cannot do it without help. Help in the form of a good doctor, who understands what a low carb diet means and who understands about replenishing vitamin, mineral and hormone deficiencies. She submitted me to some extensive tests: blood, urine, mammography, thyroid echo, bone mass scan, … Since last Summer I am supplementing - on her advice - Vitamin B12, Folic Acid, Zinc, Selenium, Iodine, DHEA, Estrogen, Metformin, Melatonin, Levothyroxin and hydrocortisol (compound + tablets). On top of that I continue supplementing Vitamin D, magnesium citrate and a decent multivitamin. I had started these on my own initiative already, before I saw her. I also take one guggul daily since a few weeks.

On 15th October I am visiting the doctor again, and we will discuss the results of my new blood and urine tests (done on 13th September). My diet will also be discussed.
I started in January with Atkins, and after two weeks quickly went to phase 2 OWL. But after a while I seemed to have problems with cravings. That is probably where I went wrong, as I went back to induction, and after a while started eating less and less carbs. My weight did hardly budge anymore. After a lot more reading, I finally landed with self diagnosed adrenal fatigue (the doctor hadn't told me explicitly, but I am certain she diagnosed it too).

So three weeks ago, I upped my carbs again. Upping means mainly: taking vegetables back in my plan. I really love vegetables. So I now eat as many vegetables as I want and don't count the carbs in them anymore. If I want to eat a portion of endives, I eat a BIG (!) portion of endives, because endives are one of my favorite foods. And if I want to eat a good lamb stew with vegetables that are relatively starchy such as turnips, carrots, leek, parsnip, and so on, then I eat that lamb stew and even throw in a bottle of good Belgian dark beer

This appears to work. Since a week or so, I am losing weight again. It is strange that I am allowing myself more now and that I do better. This is indeed as Dr. Schwarzbein says in her books. I should have listened better. However, I am not sure if I could really bring myself to eating as many carbs daily, as she suggests. But as I said, a discussion with my doctor about my diet is imminent. I will see what she proposes, then see what Dr. Schwarzbein says, and finally decide what I feel is the best way to continue my "travel".

No matter what, I have learned this much that I mainly stick to "real food" now. Butter just tastes much better anyway. I have faith in cold pressed and unrefined coconut oil and olive oil. I use celtic sea salt by now when I cook. I try to eat at least 1 (organic, free range) egg each day. Processed foods is still difficult, because I do allow cheese in my diet and I like to eat salami. It's near to impossible to find salami that doesn't contain nitrites. Still, I think there are worse things you can do.

I am not worried over my low cortisol levels. The reason why I asked about it in this thread was, because I wouldn't mind having a good reason for a nice massage . I am working on the low cortisol, together with the new doctor, as I am working on a few other problems. I am confident that when I have the most important problems under control, weight loss will come automatically anyway. So at the moment I am less fixated by the weighing scale and eat what I enjoy most.

Thanks for the advice concerning James Wilson too. I will google around a bit and see what he has to say, perhaps order his book too and read it.

And you can count on me popping in your journal