View Single Post
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 07:09
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Various people have mentioned the price of blood testing for ketones. It's not necessarily as high as Jimmy Moore's blog suggests.

I'm a type 2 diabetic and I have a Nova Max Plus meter that measures both blood sugar and ketones. This meter can be found online at places like Amazon for less than $10. The ketone strips are available from the American Diabetes Wholesale site (which is misnamed because it's also retail direct to any consumer who buys online, no prescription needed) for $23.99 for 10 strips. They also have combo packs, such as meter and ketone strips for about $30 or meter, ketone strips, and 50 glucose strips for about $39 (which is what I purchased a few months ago). They have flat shipping of $3.95 for the entire purchase or free shipping for orders over $100.

There are probably other diabetes supply websites with similar or maybe even lower prices. I'm not trying to promote any supplier, but just saying that there are relatively low prices if you look around. Ketone testing is still $2-3 per test, but it's not as pricey as some might think. If you go with Nova Max, make sure to get the "Plus" style because the regular Nova Max meter tests only blood sugar.

By the way, the Nova Max meters are also good deals for blood glucose testing because the price of their glucose strips is among the lowest around. My Nova Max Plus gives blood sugar values that are in line with measurements from my other meters, so I think it's accurate, at least for glucose.

I've tested my ketones a few times over the past 2 months. The level has never been higher than 0.3 for me and that was after several days of eating about 30 g carb per day and low protein.