View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-16, 22:25
Registered Member

Plan: Just Low Carb
Stats: 320/250/225 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Sleep Apnea - CPAP's affect on weight loss.

Hi all. Been a while. I think some of you will remember me, most probably won't. I check in from time to time and have a journal here.

I'll try to keep this short but i've seen me post in the past

Last year I had my aha moment and switched to low carb. Last year I lost 70lbs, from 320 to 250. It was a great year. As you can see from my stats, however, I am still at 250. I'm eating very clean, most of my friends and co-workers make comments about how restrictive I am with what I eat, my parents call my resolve to this diet "sickening" because they've always tried LC, had great results and then skipped out at the first plateau (this has happened for years) and, maybe the best part is I almost always get to pick the restaurant when I eat out with someone because they know i'm "picky."

I've been trying to figure out why my weight loss stalled so decisively in 2016. I was losing weight consistently through 2015. Heck, the week of Christmas I ate only meat for a week and lost 1-2 lbs per day. But January 1st 2016 happened and my scale needle has been frozen at 250 for most of a year.

Last week my friend had a sleep study done and was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. He mentioned that he was looking forward to dreaming again. And the accompanying weight loss that usually occurs. (My CPAP salesman told me that once he sets someone up he often sees them come back in a year having dropped close to 100lbs. I thought "that won't be me, i'm not that lucky" and it wasn't, but I was close )But his comment sparked my memory.

I was also diagnosed. Mine was early in 2015. I got a CPAP machine and started using it consistently. At the end of 2015 I decided that I had lost 70lbs and probably didn't need it anymore. So I stopped using it altogether.

When I used the CPAP I was dreaming like a madman. Now, I can't remember the last dream i've had.

Last week I decided to put this theory to the test and started using my machine again. This morning my scale was down to 246. I'm not ready to make any predictions yet but i'm curious... what do you think about this?

P.S. I ran across this article while I was searching and thought it was interesting - http://www.yourlunghealth.org/headlines/2011/12/cpap/
Sponsored Links