#88   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 16:26

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Now isn't that interesting! I made a variation from my homeland called appelflappen (means apple folds in Dutch, I was born in the Netherlands), which is basically a yeast batter (in MY house, anyway), dip in an apple ring, deep fry and serve with powdered sugar. Very tasty. So I cubed up a small apple (peeled, cored), dragged through some of this "donut" batter and fried. VERY nice. Sprinkled with sweetener and cinnamon.

The Dutch version of aebleskivir, though, is called poffertjes ("little puffs"), which have no apple in them that I recall and are little puffy donuts. I really MUST get me one of these pans...

I'm curious about how you used the aebleskivir pan, though. I'm assuming yours is traditional seasoned cast iron, but did you add any butter or oil to the wells before frying?

Ta!

Hi,

The pan I am using looks almost exactly like the one in the picture and is made in Sweden. I had to examine it as I have borrowed it from my MIL. My pan doesn't have the extra little handle and is heavy cast iron. I have seen other pans like this in Denmark, but the wells are deeper and narrower.

I used oil in the wells, because I hadn't used this pan before and I wasn't familiar with the recipe. Those little doughnut holes sure sucked up the fat, but didn't taste fatty at all. I had no problem with sticking. After the doughnut holes fried for a couple minutes, I started checking the bottom side for browning. Once they were golden brown, I just stuck a toothpick in them and flipped them over and browned the other side. Very easy! The result was a very tastey treat. They are a bit spongier than the real thing, but very good and worth making again and again and ...oh, well, you get the picture.

Now I need to try them with the cinnamon and splenda.

Happy "appelflappen" making. (They sound really good, too.)