View Single Post
  #181   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-19, 09:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

For the umpteenth time....with different cancers, and population studies, over and over...there is a correlation between sugar and cancer.

Dr. Lewis Cantley. Weill-Cornell
High-Fructose Corn Syrup Promotes Colon Tumor Growth in Mice

https://news.weill.cornell.edu/news...-growth-in-mice

Quote:
NEW YORK (March 21, 2019)—Consuming the equivalent of one can of soda per day caused mice predisposed to colon cancer to develop larger tumors, according to a study by Weill Cornell Medicine and NewYork-Presbyterian investigators.

The study, published March 22 in the print issue of Science, shows how high-fructose corn syrup fuels the growth of colon tumors in these mice and demonstrated a potential strategy to block this excess tumor growth. Though more study is needed to demonstrate whether high-fructose corn syrup promotes colon tumor growth in humans, the findings might have implications for cancer treatment or prevention.

“The study shows that colorectal polyps feed on high-fructose corn syrup and explains the molecular mechanism by which this drives the growth of the tumor,” said co-senior author Dr. Lewis Cantley, the Meyer Director of the Sandra and Edward Meyer Cancer Center at Weill Cornell Medicine and NewYork-Presbyterian. “While our work was conducted in mice, our findings build on mounting evidence that sugar fuels cancer growth.”

Investigators say that, based on their findings, people with colon cancer or those at high risk should avoid sugary drinks.

Sickeningly Sweet

Biochemist Dr. Lewis Cantley is Finding Increasing Evidence of a Strong Connection Between Sugar and Cancer
(in Weill Cornell Medicine Winter magazine)

https://news.weill.cornell.edu/news...ckeningly-sweet

Quote:
Dr. Lewis Cantley hasn’t eaten sugar in decades. “I have a very simple rule,” he says. “I eat fruit, but I don’t eat anything that has sugar added to it. And I guarantee everybody would be better off if they ate zero sugar.”

Swearing off sugar may sound like a difficult proposition in a society where the sweet stuff—in Halloween candy or birthday cake, breakfast cereal or caramel macchiatos—is not only ubiquitous but central to our daily rituals and major celebrations. Indeed, according to the World Health Organization, the average American consumes 126 grams of sugar a day, more than people in any other country and nearly four times what nutritionists recommend. “It’s an addiction,” maintains Dr. Cantley, the Meyer Director of the Sandra and Edward Meyer Cancer Center at Weill Cornell Medicine, who was inspired to become a sugar teetotaler when he saw friends and relatives struggling with their weight in the ’70s, at the dawn of the American obesity epidemic. “If I say to someone, ‘Don’t eat anything sweet for two days,’ they’ll look at me like, ‘That’s impossible, nobody can do that.’ It’s very much like an opioid addiction or an addiction to nicotine.”

More at Link...

The corn syrup in a soda a day can give mice bigger colon tumors
(Staff summary on the new study in Science)

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...er-colon-tumors
Sponsored Links