#18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 08:20

Plan: Classic Atkins
Stats: 275/272/165 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
My daughters bought me a 23andme Health and Ancestry DNA kit for my birthday a few weeks ago. I followed the directions precisely and sent in my saliva sample to be processed. A few days later they notified me that my DNA sample could not be processed. There was not enough DNA in my spit to meet their standards.

When I did my Big-Y700 test from FamilyTreeDNA they needed a very good sample .. the instructions said to lightly bite on the inside of your cheeks a bit, scraping it with your teeth .. and then to use the swab for at least 30 seconds ... as you swab move the swab up and down on the cheek while rotating the swap between your fingers .. this will get the best sample.

As far as the health report - you can use it as a tool to investigate further - but consumer DNA sequencing isn't the best. Talk to your doctor about any results that you are concerned about and they can get you some proper genetic testing done. Also remember that just because you have a marker - doesn't mean its activated ...

For those that did autosomal type tests at other companies (like AncestryDNA or FamilyTreeDNA's FamilyFinder test), you can download your DNA sequence in a file and upload it to https://promethease.com which will show you which DNA markers you have that match both postiive and negative health indicators.

-Dan