View Single Post
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 09:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

I saw a report on this article last night on NBC and read a short article on the internet this morning. I was glad to see, for the first time in an independent study, I think, that a conclusion drawn by the researchers is that carbs cause weight gain. Unfortunately, 63 people is such a small sample that it's statistically meaningless, but perhaps it will lead to a larger long term study - at any rate, it does add legitimacy to this WOE, and that's a big step.

I notice that despite regaining some weight, those who followed the Atkins plan ultimately lost almost twice as much as those on a low calorie diet. According to the report on NBC, the decrease in triglycerides was 11.6% for Atkins as opposed to an increase of less than 1% on low calorie, and the increase in HDL's was 16% for Atkins, 1.6% for low calorie. Sorry, these figures aren't terribly accurate, I should have written them down while I was watching, but the point is, Atkins was significantly better at improving health overall than low calorie. Too bad there was no data on whether or not subjects exercised according to Dr. Atkins guidelines in addition to changing their WOE.