View Single Post
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 13:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
What I was hoping is to basically cut then gain a muscular body, then if I keep lifting since I have muscles maybe I could handle carbohydrates then? Would I really become obese again and lose my muscle if I have a muscular body and still lift? At that point shouldn't I be able to eat whatever I want? If not, then what about a more liberal keto type of diet where my default is keto but if I want fast food, or ice cream, cake etc I just eat it and I should be fine since I lift weights and have muscles?

I think you are conflating diet and excersie.

From Dr. Fung:

Quote:
Here’s the most important thing to remember. If you are concerned about losing weight and reversing T2D, then worry about insulin. Fasting and LCHF will help you. If you are worried about muscle mass, then exercise – especially resistance exercises. OK? Don’t confuse the two issues. We always confuse the two issues because the calorie enthusiast have intertwined them in our minds like hamburgers and french fries.

Weight loss and gain is mostly a function of DIET. You can’t exercise your way out of a dietary problem. Remember the story of Peter Attia? A highly intelligent doctor and elite level distance swimmer, he found himself on the heavy end of the scale, and it was not muscle. He was overweight despite exercising 3-4 hours a day. Why? Because muscle is about exercise, and fat is about diet. You can’t out-run a bad diet.

Muscle gain/ loss is mostly a function of EXERCISE. You can’t eat your way to more muscle. Supplement companies, of course, try to convince you otherwise. Eat creatine (or protein shakes, or eye of newt) and you will build muscle. That’s stupid. There’s one good way to build muscle – exercise. So if you are worried about muscle loss – exercise. It ain’t rocket science. Just don’t confuse the two issues of diet and exercise. Don’t worry about what your diet (or lack of diet – fasting) is doing to your muscle. Exercise builds muscle. OK? Clear?

https://idmprogram.com/fasting-and-...asting-part-14/