View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-16-18, 12:51
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I've tweaked my WOE several times for various reasons over the past few years trying to figure out what is right for me. The first 6 months I lost weight easily simply sticking to a plan of < 35 (or so) net carbs per day. Then my weight loss slowed to a crawl. My first tweak was simply to eat my usual LC meals, while trying to reduce or eliminate between meal snacking. Another tweak was to work in intermittent fasting. And yet another tweak was to start weighing and logging my meals to have a better sense of how much I was eating. I've experimented with adding more fiber to my diet and found it to be to my liking. After doing these things I was able to keep the scale moving (albeit at a slower rate than the early days of this journey). When I started working out more I found recovery to be slower than I expected. That is when I started messing around with upping the protein. That appeared to help, too.

Long story short, I find that more protein works fine for me. My BG stays good even with more protein. I've found that I can easily overeat fat and protein. I have gained weight even while eating carbs at a level that keeps me in the ketogenic zone. When I'm at my best with this WOE I am keeping the carbs in check (< 40 net), eat a higher amount of protein (150g on average), and getting most of my fat from whole foods. I cut out adding fat to my coffee, fat bombs, etc. to my regular regimen. Doing that keeps my calories within reason (2200 to 2800 per day). Keep in mind that I am male, larger than you and very active.

My point here is more about changing things up to see if we can find a better way for us to eat. As I tweaked things up I did my best to give the new plan some time (at least 3 or more months). A few days or weeks was not enough time to know if something was working or not. I've called this "dieting" within my WOE as I was still low carb, just trying something a little different every few months. I don't follow any specific plan. Not every tweak has had positive effects. Even 4 years into this WOE I'm still working at it. The thing that I would suggest is that if what you are doing isn't working, then tweak it up and try something else for a while.

P.S. Currently I'm trying the tweak that I was doing when I lost the last 40 pounds and so far it has not been as successful as it was the first time around. I'm having a little more trouble sticking to it this time.