#2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-18, 05:41

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.ou.org/torah/parsha/rab...three-opinions/

Quote:
We all nod our heads in agreement when we hear the phrase, “Two Jews, three opinions.” We similarly chuckle when we hear the anecdote about the Jew who was discovered after years of living alone on a desert island. His rescuers noticed that he had built two huts aside from the one he lived in. He told the puzzled people who saved him that they were shuls, or synagogues. When asked why he needed two shuls, he retorted, “One is the one in which I pray, and the other is the one into which I would never set foot.”

Not meant as a religious post. Two Atkiners, three opinions.

Dr. Jason Fung has a saying, Calorie Restriction As Primary, or CRAP. This is pretty much how I see it, too. Restricting calories without considering the other qualities of the food you're eating, like the micronutrient ratio, how insulinogenic the combination of those macros will be, etc., isn't that effective. Cut the carbs and appetite and calories becomes manageable.

My experience--straight Atkins lost me about 20 pounds, brought me from the cusp of obesity by bmi to borderline overweight. Going to a more ketogenic ratio brought me down another 10 pounds.

That last bit isn't quite true. I counted calories and ate higher protein to lose that last ten pounds (actually more like 15 pounds). At that lower weight, I developed a problem with binges, including some high carb binges that I hadn't had any problem with for like a decade (long time between that first 20 pounds and the next ten). That's when I tried a more ketogenic approach, which pretty much put an end to the tendency to binge. The binge tendency is still there if I loosen up on keto too much.

So how I read this, just eating protein and fat at will sort of lower my set point vs. SAD. Calorie restriction once I hit that set point reduced my weight further, but there's no getting away from the fact that at 155 pounds, I was well below the point where my weight settled on Atkins, and had strong symptoms such as binge tendency, increased general appetite, and lethargy of being well below my set point.. Eating keto I did regain some weight, but just five pounds rather than the usual fifteen, and maintain a lower weight without those binges and lethargy.