#13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-24, 18:03

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna

Cotonpal - we always had potatoes and/or bread (rarely had rice or pasta of any kind) when growing up in the 50's and 60's, but didn't have a truly green veggie, except for green beans (spinach was a rarity, and we never had green salads), because our other "green" veggies were peas and immature lima beans. Apparently the logic was that they were green, so they counted as green veggies. When we had corn or carrots, they were both just considered to be veggies too - neither were counted as starchy in place of potatoes or bread. (if they had been, maybe my blood sugar wouldn't have been such a mess) I recall when I was in elementary school that we'd have tomatoes from the garden, which should have been a very healthy vegetable. But we would eat them with a big spoonful of sugar on each slice. Fruit was usually canned. Mom would only buy the fruit that had "light syrup". I think it's almost as high in sugars as the fruit in "heavy syrup" though.

This was a doctor approved, healthy diet at the time.

My father was a doctor so I suppose the way we ate was doctor approved. We didn’t have much sugar, no soda, no candy, some baked goods and ice cream, fruit was fresh. On the whole it was a pretty healthy way of eating. At least it was not filled with junk.