#49   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-20, 12:37

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Call me a Sugar Conspiracist, but the word sugar leaps out me from a section in the NYT.

But wait!..go back to that part about Sugar hiding the virus from antibodies. Seems this might be important for vaccine efficacy, differences in recovery, etc. However, it is a long complicated article with some amazing photos but that sugar shield idea is not elaborated upon.

I read that article too, and thought it was really significant that sugar shields the virus from antibodies.

There was an article brought up on here a while back saying that diabetics whose blood sugar is "well controlled" do better against covid. (Can't find the thread now - maybe someone else can find it and post a link?) Of course their idea of "well controlled" blood sugar was no higher than 170 or 180 (fasting? I think ... sure wish I could find that article), which is of course still way higher than normal, but not wildly out of control, like blood sugar of 450 would be.

But anyhow, this finding about sugar protecting the virus from antibodies might go at least some way towards explaining why those with metabolic syndrome or diabetes are more likely to have a bad outcome from the virus.