View Single Post
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 01:20

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

I also read "The Protein Power Life Lifeplan" and whilst I found it very informative, all the maths involved with calculating the protein put me off. I just tuned out when I saw that. I'm another "Barry Girl" (like Wifezilla), and I find that as far as the basic premises are concerned, PPLP and the principles in "Natural Health and Weight Loss" are pretty much the same. I aim for about 70g "gross" carbs a day and eat protein and fat at all meals. If I don't put enough fat with the meal, I get hungry again too quickly. In five months I've lost about 80% of the weight I was aiming to lose. If I go up to 100g, I don't lose, if I go over 100g, I gain. With this knowledge (from daily weighing and noting this info in my food diary), I know how to lose weight and maintain.

What I didn't like about PPLP is that it scared the pants off me!!! I began to think "OMG, must dash off to the doctor's and have all sorts of levels checked! OMG, I live in Germany, how can I get all these supplements?!!!"

In the meantime I've also read "Nourishing Traditions" (I like reading books on nutrition...) by Sally Fallon, which has put my mind to rest to a great degree as, according to her knowledge, you can get most of the stuff you need from food if you eat the right kind of stuff.

But even she recommends blackcurrant oil for GLA...

Have fun with PPLP - I don't think you can really go wrong there. I'm not a fan of Atkins - too much soy and processed products and too restrictive. But the basic low-carb principles are, of course, to be applauded and much healthier than the low-fat dogma.

GOOD LUCK!
amanda