Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 11:29
Registered Member

Plan: high fat BFL
Stats: 170/170/170 Male 1.80
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine2
D - in the beginning, I was feeling a bit sluggish, however, I was just eating M&E (meat & eggs), so I gradually added in some carbs, 5 g per day, and now I'm up to 39 carbs, with it being about 7 grams of fiber, around 32 Net carbs. I feel pretty good during my workouts, my goal is to work until complete exhaustion or hitting the "high point" in the BFL plan. The only area I'm seeing a problem is around 5:00 or so every afternoon, I'm wiped out. It might be because I'm getting up at 4:30 am and am usually at the gym by 5:30 - and I'm not getting in bed until around 11:00 or so at night. So my fatigue could be my lack of sleep. This is an area I'm trying to work on - getting more sleep.
My protein has been about 180 - 200 g per day, so I think I'm getting enough protein, but I'm still not sure about carbs. I'm still tweaking the program a bit, but I just cant go to eating a potatoe or rice as the program suggest.

Indeed meat and eggs is not probably the best diet to sustain strenuous physical activity and convert fat mass to lean mass.
Are you drinking lot of water? You intake of protein is very high and dehydration could be part of the reason why you feel tired at 5:00.
You're probably right that your 5 hours of sleep per night are another reasons. Most of muscle growth/repair and fat burning happens while we sleep and it's not uncommon for weight lifting newbys to suddenly need 8-9 hours of sleep and feel like on a hangover with less.
As for the water intake I wouldn't listen to thirst, which has become a very wicked instinct in our modern world somehow, and would increase my intake of water nonetheless after all water is probably the most important muscle building and fat burning substance out there. A documented guideline for someone following a strenous physical routine is 1.0-1.5 ml per kg consumed.
That would equate to 65 to 100 ounces if you consume calories.
If you can work on the water and sleep factor you could know whether it's not enough carbs that is causing your fatigue. I would like to know as it would help me to tweak the program.

Other tweaks to the program I will make are:
consuming more carbs during the day consuming less carb during the evening and 0 carbs in my last meal
consuming way more carbs in the postworkout meals
taking two teaspoons of coconut oil daily
using my free day to refill with carbs and restore muscular glycogen

Quote:
I've gained most of my carbs thru the protein drink I drink, the Betagen drink from EAS, and fresh spinach and sometimes 1/2 piece of fruit mixed in my protein drink. I also do some LC Yogurt/cottage cheese. My weight has been coming off slow, however, the inches are melting off. I actually am probably going to have a gain this week, but I have shrunk in inches so I'm still happy with the BFL program.
I have a friend who just completed the program, and she really looked awesome. She is doing her 2nd challenge now. Here is the link to her pics from challenge #1.
http://www.bodyforlife-tracker.com/...os.cfm?id=15910 - The bodyforlife tracker is a great tool too. However, they cringe at the thought of LC - so I don't post over there much. Another great link regarding LC and BFL is http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/...Life.html#tweak He talks about Porter Freeman limited his carbs on meal 2 & 4. His site is very interesting and this doc has personally done the program.
When do you think you are going to start the program? I would love to share the results and findings - you might start a journal under the bootcamp section.

You're right. Your friend transformation is wonderful!
Thanks for the interesting links, I will probably begin the program monday the next week and will plan my food and exercises and ratios these last 4 days

D.