#23   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-18, 10:35

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Going down a bit of a niacinamide rabbit hole this morning, I came across this.

There have been a number of studies looking at antioxidants and exercise, looks like Ristow was involved in that some.

Study by another group;
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/1/142.full

The problem here might be that vitamin c is doing its job. Maybe stress can be good, unless what you're trying to do is trigger a positive adaptation to that stress. No stress, no reason to adapt. That doesn't necessarily mean that there can't be some benefit if there is some sort of pathological state of excess oxidation as opposed to an environmental stressor that can be adapted to.

There are also studies looking at cold baths etc. to decrease inflammation after working out. They work, less inflammation. But they seem to impair muscle growth. Again, reduce the stress, reduce the adaptation to the stress.

A study I was looking at in my journal some months back mentioned something about anti-inflammatories like aspirin or tylenol. Young, healthy people working out were given anti-inflammatories--they seemed to interfere with muscle growth. Older, insulin resistant people working out, given anti-inflammatories had instead an increase in lean mass. There could be a sweet spot for some of this stuff, how you get there depending on where you started out.

It occurs to me that the 1 gram of Vit C was a dose much higher than most people get a day. Perhaps if the study was repeated at 500mg the results might be different.

Was the 1g level picked because this is a dose commonly used by athletes?

( all rhetorical questions.)