#3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 17:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Butter led to an increase in the larger LDL particles, which are believed to be beneficial. So, the recommendation is to eat less saturated fat and butter.

Makes sense to me. NOT!!

The "solution" will ALWAYS be to eat less Saturated Fat. Saturated Fat is Bad in their opinion and they won't let any proof to the contrary get in the way. They will always spin it so that Saturated Fat is bad. Saturated Fat raises Good LDL and HDL Cholesterol. Instead of reporting this...it is always reported: "Saturated Fat Raises Cholesterol" or "Saturated Fat Raises LDL Cholesterol." I almost never hear anyone mention that it raises HDL and they never mention that the LDL it raises is the Light, Fluffy (possibly beneficial) kind.

Interestingly enough, when it comes to grains which lower HDL and can contribute to your LDL being the Small, Dense (possibly detrimental) variety...they spin it with something like: "Cherrios may lower your Cholesterol" or "Eating a diet high in Fruit may lower Cholesterol." Conviniently left out is the Cholesterol that is lowered the most is your HDL (Good) Cholesterol and that following such a suggestion would raise your Triglycerides and possibly lead to Small, Dense (Detrimental) LDL Cholesterol.

This is why they DO NOT want to go further into LDL/HDL subtypes. If they researched all the subtypes and listed each as Beneficial/Detrimental...and then tested for all the subtypes...I'd bet anything that they'd discover that a Low-Fat/Hi-Carb diet worsens your Cholesterol. As long as they can keep people focused on Total Cholesterol and LDL, they can spin any studies that show Low-Fat is bad for your health to sound like Low-Fat is good for your heart.