#99   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 14:15

Plan: None in particular
Stats: 180/170/160 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve41
I've mentioned this once before, but if you guys are implying that the entire medical profession are unscrupulous, money-grubbing parasites who collude with big pharma and have no interest in the healthy outcomes of their patients, then the LC movement is doomed to be forever tarred with the 'kooky/wacky fringe' designation.

If you want to see LC eventually attain mainstream recognition, you don't want to alienate the medical establishment. This ocean liner isn't going to turn around on a dime. Patience.

It's not about alienation of the entire medical establishment. There's quite a number of doctors and others in that industry whom I have only the largest respect for.

But then there are those whom I do not.

Myself and my girlfriend were in the chocolate store in the mall the other day, minds blown over the fact that they had an entire sugar-free chocolate section. A man beside us whom I believe was mildly mentally challenged asked if I had diabetes and I simply replied with "No, but I don't want to get it." He proceeded to state to me how his doctor had told him that, no, sugar does not cause it and that the notion that it does is a, quote, "Old wive's tale." Apparently the books his doctor advised him to read gave him the same conclusion. I politely told him to pick up 'Good Calories, Bad Calories', and otherwise felt terrible that I was not through school and able to give him a business card.

I've had a few experiences like this and am sure they aren't really isolated. My anger with the medical community isn't so much with the community itself, but with the elder, long-time members of it who have such a marked resilience and who will never really change.

I couldn't do much of anything, legally, for that poor man and that makes me sick.

*edit*

Just a note, the LC movement in my humble opinion, is not seen in a kooky/fringe sort of way because of its firm stance against the protested medical truth it attempts to debunk, but because of the never-ending cycle of ignorance and misinformation that people are fed daily simply because it is not in the best interest of other parties that we eat properly. It is truly tragic that those who stand in a position to help people are really just pawns of the corporations who sponsor their studies and gently nudge them in directions that keep us sick and dying.