#5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-18, 11:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
The debate goes on and given my LMHR status I do want to know how this plays out (and contribute if I can). The science is not 100% settled. It wasn't settled when they decided to make fat & cholesterol that bad guy decades ago and it is not settled now. When I do keto my LDL-C doubles. When I eat LCHF right at my keto carb limits my LDL-C falls into a reasonably doctor pleasing range.

My problem is that I do better when I keep my carbs well down into the keto range. As I have chased better LDL-C numbers I find that I'm walking the 'slippery slope' of my carb limits. When my target is 40 to 50 net carbs each day keeping the eating within reason is harder. Frankly, I don't feel as good when I'm eating more carbs. With the exception of that darn LDL-C number, my gut tells me that keto is where I belong.

Well stated, and this is exactly why I'm watching and listening to these discussions and new ideas on lipids. I do far better when I'm around or below 20-25 grams of carbs per day. That slippery slope is always potentially looming in the background, as I was a carb addict in the past, and I know it would be so easy to become one again. Attia, Dayspring, Feldman, Krauss, and others are deep into research; yet, we currently have no practical answers regarding accurate lipid health markers. Simple disagreements over the presence or not of LDL receptors in endothelial cells is a good example.

I'm taking the same approach, Ken. I'll keep my carbs low, eat healthy whole foods, and stay close or in the keto range, as that's where I do best and feel great. I'm hoping we can get something definitive on blood lipids as valid health markers and receive some guidance that adjusts for WOE. Until then, my simple N=1 adjusts for how I feel, and that's the best I can do. The good news? Much more to come as this dialog continues and more good minds contribute to it.