View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-18, 23:07

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I skimmed the paper. There's an interesting bit about free fatty acids. The LFM group saw a drop from about 109um/l to about 40um/l. Where are the FFAs going? Not in the blood, trigs stayed about the same. The FFAs must be going somewhere, I bet it's to fat tissue. In other words, that single low-fat meal made the guys fatter. Otherwise ain't nothin' to see here. The discussion paragraph says it all (parentheses and bold mine):
Quote:
RBCs (red blood cells) intimately interact with blood vessels and are increasingly recognized for their complex role in regulating vascular function and cardiovascular-related disease. Here, we demonstrate for the first time in humans (2018, the lipid hypothesis is at least 50 years old, 'bout time) that a single HFM (high-fat meal) sufficient to induce lipemia promotes RBC remodeling, induces intracellular ROS (reactive oxygen species) and oxidative damage to RBC membranes, and increases circulating and RBC-bound MPO (myeloperoxidase) that is sufficient to promote oxidative modification of HDL. Additionally, in vitro, monocytic cells exposed to lipid release MPO, which in turn is taken up by coronary arteries in the presence of free fatty acids. These findings may have implications with regard to the mechanisms, whereby consumption of meals rich in fat have been temporally linked to the development of acute coronary syndromes in humans.

If I can paraphrase. Fat is bad, it took a single milkshake to prove it. It's sciance, we are sciantists, you must believe us this time, cuz it's the truth full of acronyms and stuff.

Ima paraphrase something else. The Bellevue all-meat trial lasted one year. Two men participated. They each ate about 230g (or about 3 of those milkshakes) of fat each day of that year, spread over several meals each day, for about 1,000 meals each total. Conclusion from those sciantists doin' the sciance: No observed adverse effect.

Alright, here's how it's gonna go down for me. Either they just found out that fat is truly bad, or they just found out why the Bellevue all-meat trial didn't find nothin' bad, you know cuz of all those nasty acronyms and stuff.

Some math. In this latest sciance, there's 10 subjects, half HFM so 5 milkshakes. In the Bellevue all-meat trial, there's two subjects, total ~2,000 meals. Quick calculus, we got 400x (or 1995+, if you prefer) meals that suggest fat is benign at worse. Let me put it another way. Somebody hits something with a hammer 5 times, somebody else hits something with a hammer 2,000 times, they completely disagree on the results, we gotta decide which guy is telling the truth.