View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 09:22

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Omega 6 Content of Common Foods

This is from Matt Stone's blog, and I know he is a controversial figure, but I think this post is a good one for all of us. I think it's pretty commonly accepted around here that the Omega6:Omega3 ratio is pretty out of whack for most people on a Western diet. I've long since tried to eliminate as much as possible all the high-PUFA vegetables oils high in Omega 6. But Matt also goes on to say:

http://180degreehealth.blogspot.com...mmon-foods.html
Quote:
My point is that we simply need to ignore the banter about what is and is not a healthy food, and instead focus on what we need to do to actually make some progress in overturning this high omega 6 imbalance. It takes more than just cutting out vegetable oil. It takes a concentrated effort to keep omega 6 at levels low enough that omega 6 tissue concentration falls substantially.

And what matters most in taking simple steps in pursuing a low omega 6 diet, is the overall percentage of calories as omega 6 in the foods you are eating in greatest abundance. The most relevant and substantial contributors are fats, meats, nuts, and starches.

As you will quickly realize, the higher your diet is in total fat content, the more important it is that you are diligent about keeping omega 6 intake under control.
I can't disagree with that. But what really makes his post worthwhile is that he includes a valuable list of common foods, and where they fall on the Omega6 content spectrum. I was bummed to find my favorite bacon grease on the high side of the Omega6 spectrum. But at least it's not in the "very high" category like the peanut butter beloved of many low carbers, or worse yet, not on the "Omega 666 – the most Evil omega 6 powerhouses" like soybean oil - which is found in all standard commercial mayos also beloved of many low carbers. But I thought printing a copy of the full list was worthwhile for me, so here it is for you too.

Interesting in that among the "very low" category is that more blah of meat foods - chicken without skin. Seems the O6 in chicken is mostly in the skin and fat, as chicken fat is also high. But I have pan-fried skinless chicken breast chunks in coconut oil (also very low) and they turned out pretty tasty.
Quote:
Omega 666 – the most Evil omega 6 powerhouses (over 50%)

Grapeseed oil 70.6%!!!
Corn Oil 54.5%
Walnuts 52.5% (oil is 53.9%)
Cottonseed oil 52.4%
Soybean oil 51.4%

Very High Omega 6 sources (20-50%)

Sesame oil 42.0%
Pepitas 34.5%
Margarine 27.9%
Pecans 26.9%
Peanut Butter 22.5%
Pistachios 21.3%

High Omega 6 Sources (10-20%)

Chicken Fat 19.5%
Almonds 19.1%
Canola oil 19.0%
Flaxseed oil 12.9%
Cashews 12.6%
Duck Fat 12.2%
Bacon Grease 10.2%
Lard 10.2%

Moderate Omega 6 Sources (5-10%)

Olive oil 9.9%
Goose Fat 9.8%
Avocado 9.4%
Chicken with skin 9.0%
Olives 7.4%
Bacon 7.0%
Eggs 6.8%
Pork chops 6.2%
Popcorn (Air Popped) 5.8%
Oats 5.6%

Low Omega 6 Sources (2-5%)

Corn 4.7%
Chicken Liver 3.7%
Sunflower Oil 3.7% (High oleic variety - others are very high in omega 6)
Butter 3.4%
Beef Tallow 3.1%
Cocoa Butter 2.8%
Macadamia Nut oil ~2.5%
Cream 2.2%
Beef liver 2.1%
Grassfed Beef 2.0%
Whole wheat flour 2.0%

Extremely low Omega 6 Sources (Less than 2%)

Coconut oil 1.9%
Prime rib 1.8%
Whole milk 1.8%
Half and Half 1.8%
Ground Beef 1.6%
Macadamia Nuts 1.6%
Chicken without skin 1.4%
Lamb 1.4%
Cheese/Brie 1.3%
Coconut Milk 1.1%
Seal Oil 1.1%
Foie gras 1.1%